Hypothyroidism is one of the most common thyroid diseases. It primarily affects women; however, some men have issues with their thyroid too. But, what exactly is hypothyroidism? Simply put, it’s an underactive thyroid. Your thyroid plays an essential role of making sure your body functions properly. The thyroid is essential for the following:
- Boosting your immune system
- Increasing your energy
- Warming your body temperature
- Regulating your metabolism
The hormones that are delivered to your thyroid affect proper brain development, cholesterol levels, weight gain, muscle strength, body temperatures and nervous system functions. When these hormones are not being supplied to the thyroid properly, it causes hypothyroidism.
What are some common symptoms of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism can be difficult to detect because each individual responds differently. It really depends on the individual, and the severity of the hormone deficiency. However, some of the most common symptoms that reveal you may have an underactive thyroid include the following:
- Memory Loss
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Weight gain
- Dry skin & brittle nails
- Pregnancy issues
- Low energy
- Muscle weakness
- Joint pain
What are some natural remedies for healing your thyroid?
While some traditional medicines are helpful, there are other ways that you can heal you thyroid without putting your body and health at risk. Here are 5 natural remedies that you can use in conjunction with your regular thyroid treatment so you can feel healthier and happier.
- Yoga – You already know how important yoga is for your breath and mind. But, did you know yoga can be used as a natural remedy to regulate your thyroid? According to a survey conducted by Dr. Raj Maturi of the Isha Foundation, researchers discovered that Isha Yoga improved thyroid conditions of the participants. The survey revealed astonishing results:
• 50% reduced their thyroid medication
• 9% stopped their medication
• 41% had no change in medication
- Natural herbs – One of the most popular herbs for treating thyroid problems is Nettle. Nettle is good for both under active and over active thyroid problems. It has a rich source of iodine, which is beneficial to alleviating thyroid symptoms. The best way to get your daily intake of Nettle is to make it into a tea, and drink it 2-3 times a day for maximum benefits.
- Proper nutrition – I can’t express it enough; eating proper food is crucial to your overall health and well-being. While nutritional deficiencies may not be the main culprit for causing thyroid problems, having a lack of nutritional foods may cause the symptoms of your thyroids to be worse. That’s why it’s important to eat foods that are high in fiber, Vitamin D, Iron, Iodine, Omega-3 fatty acids, ion, zinc and other vitamins and minerals that contribute to your health.
- Thyroid Detox – Just like you detox your liver and your colon, detoxing you thyroid is no different. We are exposed to chemicals and toxins on a daily basis. This type of chemical and toxic exposure can lead to a myriad of health issues. That’s why it’s imperative to perform a thyroid detox to flush out all the impurities from your thyroid.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils have been around for centuries and can date back to thousands and thousands of years ago. They were primarily used for medicinal purposes and aromatic experiences. Fast forward to present day, and essential oils are still being used to alleviate symptoms for a plethora of diseases and ailments. Essential oils for the thyroid are no different. Two of the most effective type of essential oils for the thyroid is Rosemary and Clove. They stimulate the adrenal glands and the kidneys, which help produce more energy, improved sleep patterns, and alleviates exhaustion. Rub the oils directly on your thyroid sprinkle a little of the oil in your favorite drink and you will notice a huge different.
When it comes to healing your thyroid, it’s very important that you seek the help and expertise of a qualified medical professional. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t use these natural and effective remedies for getting your thyroid back to normal. Start implementing some or all of these natural remedies into your daily routine and you will start to notice a difference.
Raj Maturi et al, Impact of Isha Yoga on disease status and medicine usage. International Yoga Conference, Sept 2012