3-Day Plan to Boost Your Health this Fall
Fall is a natural time of transition, which makes it ideal fora gentle detox cleanse that will reset your body and mind while priming you for a winter ofwellness.
Detoxifying through your diet doesn’t have tomean fasting, and if done periodically, is one of the best ways to stay healthy.
HERE ARE 3 REASONS TO DO A GENTLE DETOX CLEANSE THIS FALL:
- Bolster your immunesystem to help prevent the flu
- Boost your mood, energy, andproductivity by clarifying yourmind
- Shed excess weight before the holidays
What follows is a 3-day gentle detox plan, filled with delicious, seasonal recipes that will aid your body in naturally getting rid of toxins.
While you don’t have to follow the recipes exactly, just make sure to keep these guidelines in mind:
FOODS TO INCLUDE
- Whole, unprocessed foods
- Fruit Seeds
- Fresh pressed juices
- All fruit smoothies
FOODS TO ELIMINATE
- Processed Foods
- Wheat Dairy
- Meat (including Poultry & Fish)
- Alcohol Caffeine (including tea)
Our bodies are naturally built to detoxify every day as part of our normal body processes. We detox by eliminating and neutralizing toxins through our colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph and skin.
However, in this day and age we are exposed to a number of environmental pollutants in the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. Furthermore, our chemical-laden diet with large amounts of animal protein, saturated and trans fats, caffeine, and alcohol inhibit our bodies from properly performing their detoxification processes.
Detoxing through the diet is a great way to give your body a break and support its natural self-cleaning system
FALL DETOX DAY 1: BREAKFAST
Cinnamon Apple Oats
- 1-cup steel cut oats 2 cups hot water
- 1 apple, cored and chopped 1 ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, if desired
- Bring water to a boil, and then add in oats, cooking according to directions.
- About 1 minute beforethe oatmeal is done, add in chopped apple and cover.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle in cinnamon and sea salt. For a sweeter dish, add in maple syrup.
Tip: Start each day with warm lemon water. It cleanses the blood, liver, and kidneys, and activates your digestive system for maximum efficiency throughout the day.
Apples: This antioxidant-rich fruit helps reduce inflammation and is linked to heart and lung health.
Steel Cut Oats: High in both soluble and insoluble fiber, oats will keep you satiated and your digestive system moving.
Cinnamon: This aromatic spice boosts brain function, helps control blood sugar levels, and improves colon health.
FALL DETOX DAY 1: LUNCH
Baby Arugula & Kalamata Olive Salad
- 4 cups baby arugula or baby kale
- ½ cup cucumber, diced 2 radishes, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1-2 tbs. raw or sprouted pumpkin seeds 1-2 tbs. raw or sprouted sunflower seeds 1 tbs. hemp seeds
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Dress with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a dash of lemon.
Kale: One of the most nutrient-dense foods available, kale helps reduce inflammation and is linked to heart and lung health.
Pumpkin Seeds: High in anti-oxidants and minerals, pumpkin seeds detoxifies the body and promote radiating skin.
Hemp Seeds: An excellent source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, hemp seeds also aid in elimination.
FALL DETOX DAY 1: DINNER
Warming Lentil & Sweet Potato Salad
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 large sweetpotato
- ¼ cup raw or sprouted walnuts
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- tsp maple syrup
- Dash of sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Dash of cinnamon
- cups baby spinach
- Cook lentils in a pot until tender using a 4:1 water to lentils ratio. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for about 30 minutes on low.
- Meanwhile, dice sweet potato, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper, and bake cubes at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Fill a bowl with baby spinach, and toss in lentils andsweet potato when done; add in walnuts and dates as well.
- Combine mustard, vinegar and maple in a jarand shake to combine. Pour over salad.
Tip: Cook once, eat twice! A dish like this is perfect for refrigerating to be used later in the week, or brought to work for lunch.
Lentils: This fiber-rich legume aids in elimination, helps lower cholesterol, balances blood sugar, and even increases your energy
Sweet Potato: Despite their sweet flavor, these vitamin-packed tubers help balance blood sugar.
Spinach: Rich in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, spinach protects against inflammation, oxidative stress, and cancer.
FALL DETOX DAY 2: BREAKFAST
Grapefruit, Pear, & Spinach Green Smoothie
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 large pear
- ½ cucumber
- 1 healthy hand full of spinach
- Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix or high-speed blender.
Tip: Local, seasonal vegetables help your body stay in tune with nature, so do your food shopping at a farmers market as often as possible. Farm fresh produce is often more flavorful, too!
Grapefruit: This fiber-rich sweet and tangy fruit helps lower cholesterol, prevent kidney stones, and aids the digestive system.
Pear: Packed with anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties, pears also deliver fiber to aid in elimination.
Cucumber: Nutrient dense cucumbers, which are 95% water, help flush out toxins and alkalize the body.
FALL DETOX DAY 2: LUNCH
- 1 head of broccoli, stems removed
- ¼ to ½ head cauliflower, stems removed
- 1 carrot
- 1-2 tbs. currants
- 7 sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 tbs. sunflower seeds
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- In a large food processor (or chop by hand) process the broccoli until fine. Remove to a large bowl, and repeat with the cauliflower, and then carrots.
- Stir in the currants, parsley, and sunflower seeds. Season with the rest of ingredients, to taste.
Broccoli: A strong detoxifier, broccoli neutralizes and eliminates toxins while also delivering a healthy dose of vitamins.
Cauliflower: This anti-oxidant rich cruciferous veggie aids your body’s natural detoxification system and reduces inflammation.
Turmeric: This powerful detoxifier and anti-inflammatory cleanses the liver and helps prevents many types of cancer.
FALL DETOX DAY 2: DINNER
Roasted Root Veggie Salad
- ½ pound root vegetables (any variation of sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips), diced
- 4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots
- ½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- 3 cups frisee (or other bitter salad green)
- ½ tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. Dijon or stone ground mustard
- Dash of sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with piece of parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, toss diced vegetables and shallots with 1 tbs. of olive oil and 1/2 tsp sea salt to coat.
- Spread the veggies out in one layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in oven until all veggies are tender and some are starting to brown at the edges (about 22-25 minutes).
- Drizzle another tablespoon of olive oil and add fresh rosemary to the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 tbs. of olive oil, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until well combined.
- Place frisee in mixing bowl, pour dressing over greens and toss to coat.
- Serve salad, top with roasted vegetables.
Tip: Cut your time in the kitchen by baking the root vegetables for this recipe and tomorrow’s soup at the same time.
Carrots: Rich in fiber, antioxidants, and phytonu- trients, carrots aid the digestive tract and protect against colon cancer.
Parsnips: High in vitamins and fiber, parsnips help lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar.
Turnips: This cruciferous veggie aids the body’s natural detoxification process, and is also a great source of vitamin C.
FALL DETOX DAY 3: BREAKFAST
- Kale (one bunch, stalks and all)
- Celery (5-6 large stalks)
- Ginger (½ inchpiece)
- Apple (one)
- Lemon (one, without peel)
- Juice ingredients in order.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Want to know how to make green juice taste great? Add fresh lemon or apple to any green juice recipe to take away the “green” taste, while still providing all of the benefits!
Celery: This health-promoting veggie speeds liquid elimination while also delivering high amounts of Vitamin K and C.
Ginger: Aids digestion, is highly anti-inflammatory, and protects against certain types of cancer.
Lemon: Packed with Vitamin C, lemons also have an alkalizing effect on the body and a mild diuretic effect, helping you shed pounds.
FALL DETOX DAY 3: LUNCH
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
- 1 carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 parsnip, cut into cubes
- small sugar pumpkin,cubed
- ½ small butternut squash, cubed
- 2-6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger), to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place all cubed vegetables on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until tender.
- In two batches use a food processor or blender to blend vegetables with enough vegetable stock to reach a smooth consistency. Once processed, transfer to a soup pot on low heat, stirring in more stock until desired consistency is reached.
- Season with more pumpkin pie spice and salt, to taste.
Tip: Make sure to drink plenty of water to help your body flush out toxins and stay hydrated. We recommend 8 glasses per day for maximum cleansing!
Winter Squash: These gourds are rich in fiber, which aids in digestion and heart health, and are also high in beta-carotene and vitamin C.
Pumpkin: Packed with vitamins and carotenoids, pumpkin is also high in fiber and will help you flush out toxins.
Cloves: A powerful detoxifier, clove contains a variety of phytonutrients making it an anti-inflammatory as well.
FALL DETOX DAY 3: DINNER
Massaged Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¹⁄3 cup driedcranberries
- ½ green apple,chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar/balsamic vinegar
- Wash and dry kale.
- Stack leaves, roll up and cut into thin ribbons.
- Put kale in a large bowl and cover with salt.
- Massage salt into leaves with your hands for about 2 minutes or until it looks wet and broken down.
- Transfer kale to a fresh bowl and discard any leftover liquid.
- Mix in onion, cranberries, apple and sunflower seeds.
- Dress with oil and vinegar and toss.
Kale: One ofthe mostnutrient dense and anti-oxidant rich foods available, kale is a powerful bloodand celldetoxifier.
Onion: Provides anti-inflammatory benefits and protects cells from oxidative stress. Helps lower risk ofcertaincancers.
Sunflower Seeds: High in selenium, sunflower seeds aid the body’s natural detoxification system and help prevent cancer.
Source: Institute for Integrative Nutrition