Dietary fat: is it good or bad?
Both. You see, not all fats are created equal.
The Skinny on Fats
Heavily processed, hydrogenated “trans” fats used in prepared, packaged foods can be extremely damaging to the body. They can compromise the cardiovascular system, immune system, and contribute to behavior problems. They can also lead to weight gain, skin breakouts, high blood pressure, and liver strain.
Many people are scared of fats, but our bodies need fat for insulation, vitamin and mineral absorption, and to protect our organs. High-quality fats can steady our metabolism, keep hormone levels even, nourish our skin, hair, and nails, and provide lubrication to keep the body functioning fluidly.
Where to Find Healthy Fats
- Avocados, olives, coconuts, wild salmon, and omega-3 rich organic eggs.
- Whole nuts and seeds, and their butters like almond butter or tahini.
- Look for the highest quality organic oils when shopping. Words to look for: organic, first-pressed, cold-pressed, extra-virgin, and unrefined. Avoid expeller-pressed, refined, and solvent extracted.
How to Use Healthy Fats When Cooking
- For cooking at high temperatures (stir frying and baking), try butter, ghee (clarified butter), or coconut oil.
- When sautéing foods, try organic extra virgin olive oil.
- Oils like flaxseed, sesame, toasted sesame, walnut, and pumpkin seed are best used unheated in sauces or dressings.
Try this delicious, easy recipe for a great source of healthy fat:
Prep time: 3 minutes
Makes 1 cup
- 1 large peeled and pitted avocado
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt, goat yogurt, coconut yogurt, or almond yogurt
- 1 diced tomato
- a squirt of lemon or lime juice
- a dash or two of cayenne pepper
- sea salt and black pepper
- Mash avocado with a fork until very smooth.
- Add yogurt, tomato, and cayenne. Blend until smooth. This may be done in a food processor, in a blender, or with a fork.
- Add sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled with mixed raw vegetables.
Tip: Best made a maximum of 1 hour before serving.
Get Even Healthier!
Want help learning how to choose and use nutritious fats and other good-for-you foods? Curious about how health coaching can help you make your own healthy changes? Let’s talk! Schedule an initial complimentary consultation with me today – or pass this offer on to someone you care about!
I received my training from the IIN, the only school in the world that integrates over 100 of the latest nutrition theories with coaching and business skills. I will help you shift your behavior to develop lifelong healthy habits and a deep understanding of your bio-individual needs. We’ll work together to create lasting changes to your health, energy, and well-being.