Cleanse, Reset, refresh
Cleansing is assisting your body in his detoxification processes to help eliminate toxins and stored wastes from the body.
“In three months your body produces an entirely new skeleton. Every six weeks, all the cells have been replaced in the liver. You have a new stomach lining every five years. You are continually replacing old blood cells with new ones. You skin is shedding of dead cells, and producing a new skin, every month. The proteins in your muscles are in a constant state of flux as amino acids are catalyzed and new muscles tissue is synthesized. Even actual DNA as physical cells were not there six weeks ago”.
-Deepak Chopra in Magical Mind, Magical body
Our blood travel 60.000 miles per day on its journey through the body. With the proper tools, our body knows how to be healthy and properly nourish, maintain and detoxify. While detoxification is a natural function of the body, our elimination organs can become clogged due to toxic overload and /or poor diet. We regularly clean our homes, our cars and our outer bodies, so why neglect the inner body? We have nothing to lose but our toxins!
Our seven channels of elimination are:
- The colon
- The kidney
- The lungs
- The liver
- The lymph
- The blood
- The skin
Juicing vs. total body detox
Total body detoxification program provide a variety of benefits over juicing or juice fasting.
- No fasting
- Natural, organic herbs and herbal extract
- Easy to do, eat more herbs with every meal
As the weather warm up, we want to eat more soft herbs. Lettuce-tender and mild enough to be use with abandon, these are the leaves we want in everything, from dips to salads, with protein and even dessert. I am talking about the fantastic five;
- Parsley to cleanse kidney
- Cilantro to remove heavy metal. Use for anxiety and insomnia
- Dill use to stop spasm, antibacterial, expectorant and stimulant
- Basil use for respiratory problems, digestive and kidney ailments. Help to uplift and stimulate.
- Mint for improving digestion, cooling and energizing the body. Also relieve gas, headaches, heartburn and indigestion. Great for asthma, bronchitis, candida, diarrhea, bad breath and hemorrhoids.
Add them by the handful
You are familiar with the market to compost system. I mean you buy a bunch of herbs for a recipe, pluck a few leaves for garnish and let the rest die in the crisper drawer.
What’s the easiest way to break the cycle?
- Grow them in your garden or in a pot
- Use more fresh herbs. In the Persian culture they serve them as a side dish with every meals
A recipe that calls for a few tablespoons can usually, handle a few more, and there are plenty of dishes that benefit from a mess of chopped-up orphan herbs. Ordinary meals will feel more alive, like a room where you just opened all the windows and you’ll have rescued your precious herbs from going to the compost. Be generous and use them in:
- Leafy green or grain salad
- Yogurt dip
- Over hot soup or protein
- In a smoothie
One sauce to use them all
If you’re facing a mountain of aging herbs, it’s green sauce time. Salsa Verde is easy, quick and last for a week in your fridge, extending the life of those bunches of herbs.
- 1 cup chopped tender herbs
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup organic virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of chives
Blend and store in a glass jar.
Non herbs you can treat like herbs
- Celery leaves
- Fennel fronds
Let’s talk about stems, use them, or ditch them.
Enjoy your new easy summer cleanse!